As i mentioned in my earlier post, white papers are increasingly being accepted as an effective marketing tool in the B2B world. So what should a white paper ideally contain and what should it help you achieve as a marketer.
Here are some of my thoughts. Ideally, a white paper should :
1) state a problem or issue,
2) discuss its relevance in the current ecosystem,
3) present different points of view on solving the problem and
4) propose a point of view/ solution.
5) your product or solution could be promoted subtly, but the paper must make an honest assessment of available alternatives.
A white paper should certainly not land up as another piece of sales collateral/brochure that goes hammer and tongs promoting your product/solution.
Once you have a high quality white paper and you can take it to your target audience, it is frequently a powerful source of inquiries. If not anything else, a good white paper helps portray you and your company as a thought leader on the topic and it definitely works in your favor.
These are just some of my views, Comments/Feedback welcome
Twitter – @xeniaconsulting